Looking for the perfect color scheme for your living room? Picking a color based on your personal preference is a good place to start, but you might want to dig a little deeper. Instead, you may want to think of how you want people to feel when they spend time in your living room. Research has proven that colors can have an impact on our moods. This means that, for reasons other than simple aesthetics, the colors we choose to incorporate into our homes are very important. Picking the right color scheme for your living room is the first step to making creating a space that you and your loved ones can enjoy for years to come.
How Colors Make You Feel
- Red – It goes without saying that red is a bold color. In turn, this color can evoke feelings of boldness, confidence, and power. Red can also bring on positive emotions making it the perfect color for your living room. Since an entire room painted red may be a bit much for most people, red is a great option if you’re looking for an accent color to give your living room an extra pop.
- Yellow – Yellow is one those colors you have to be careful with. Too much, and it can be off-putting, but the right amount of yellow can promote feelings of happiness and positivity. Yellow can also represent a willingness to take risks.
- Blue – Ever wonder what the most popular color in the world is? It’s blue! For that reason most people likely feel a sense of familiarity when seeing the color blue. But can represent dependability and trustworthiness; two qualities you can’t go wrong with. If you’re looking for a safe option that can work well in almost any living room, blue is the way to go.
- Black – If you’re looking for a color that is powerful, bold, and luxurious, black could be just what you need. Black can be incorporated into your living room color scheme in the former of accent pieces, furniture, and/or accessories. Since too much black can make your room feel dark and overbearing, you’ll want to stay away from using the color too much.
- Gray – Mature and sleek, gray is a popular color for those going for a subtle approach. Since gray is a neutral color, it can be incorporated into any space with ease. Gray makes a great choice for furniture and accessories such as pillows and rugs.
- Purple – Often seen as a feminine color, there is truly more to purple than meets the eye. This color is known for creating an introspective mood that be sensual and calming. Purple is also typically associated with royalty and quality, so it can be a great color option for people going for an upscale atmosphere.
- White – When it comes to color schemes, white is definitely among one of the most commonly used colors. In fact, if you look around your home, there’s a pretty good chance that all of the walls are white. Not only does white go with everything, but it also conjures positive feelings. White can represent cleanliness and sophistication which can be great for your living room. On the flight side though, too much white and your living room could end up feeling like a hospital waiting room.
When it comes to picking the best color for your living room, you’ll definitely want to keep these things in mind. Since our living rooms are places where we spend time with family and friends, it’s important to make them as comfortable and welcoming as possible.
It’s also important to note that picking one color doesn’t mean that you can’t incorporate other colors throughout the space. Multiple colors can be used in a space provided they compliment each other well. Mixing the wrong colors can result in a serious disaster.
Now that you’ve gained some insight on different color options and what they can mean for your space, are you ready for some inspiration to help you turn your living room into the talk of the town? Take a look at 20 universally sound living room color schemes.
image via amberyin.com
image via angieslist.com
image via hgtv.com
image via thesynergists.org
image via Irlydesign.com
image via inwebexperts.com
image via gilariverhouse.com
image via infamousnow.com
image via http://birtansogutma.com
image via diy.ppg.com
image via greenfleet.info
image via beautifulfeed.com
image via latraversee.co
image via idealhome.co.uk
image via houzz.com
image via rilane.com
image via decoholic.org
image via cubbonpark.info