If there’s one name that instantly comes to mind when you think of basement doors, it’s Bilco. Bilco has been around for 90 years, and in that time, it’s developed a reputation for unrivaled design and quality. Its products come in a range of styles and finishes and can be as easily incorporated into flat basement areaways as they can sloped. Bilco basement doors are modern, expertly crafted, and made from the highest quality materials available. If you’re looking for the perfect complement for your basement, you’d do well to consider one. If you needed any more reasons to invest, here are a few good reasons to get you started.
They’re great for DIY homeowners
If you prefer to go the DIY route when it comes to home maintenance jobs, you’ll be pleased to know that Bilco doors can be easily fitted without professional assistance. You’ll need to have basic skills and a bit of know-how, but providing you know your way around a toolkit, you shouldn’t experience any issues in installing your new Bilco door. The doors can be purchased for around $490 -$570 at a home center or lumber dealer, and are supplied with all the installation instructions you’ll need to get the job done. Of course, there’s no obligation to go the DIY route if you’d rather not. Bilco offers a network of certified installers who can remove old doors and fit a new Bilco model in their place. Costs vary, but typically you shouldn’t find yourself out of pocket by more than around $1,200-$1,300.
They’re built to last
Bilco doors might not the cheapest doors available, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. As cfawalls.org (https://cfawalls.org/concretefacts/2010/09/14/bilco-offers-tips-to-get-basement-doors-ready-for-cold-months-ahead/) notes, Bilco doors are built to last. Their flanged construction and superb header design shed water and stop any binding due to ice and snow, guaranteeing all-season ease of use and long-lasting service.
They satisfy code requirements
All Bilco doors satisfy IRC 2009 Building Code requirements for finished basements to offer emergency access. If you want a basement door that offers long-lasting service while ensuring you don’t fall foul of building regulations, you’d do well to consider Bilco.
They’re easy to use
You might find cheaper doors than Bilco’s, but is it really worth saving yourself a few dollars if you end up with a clunky, hard to operate basement door? As budgetdry.com notes, one of the chief benefits of a Bilco basement door is its easy and smooth operation. Each door is equipped with ‘Torsion Cam Lift System’, a unique system that lets the door glide open and shut as smoothly as possible. Even better, the system stops the doors from slamming shut and causing injury.
They’ll stand up to extremes
Regardless of which Bilco door you choose, the one thing you can be sure of is that it’s going to do a great job of standing up to bad weather. Every Bilco door is guaranteed to be 100% water-proof – no matter how strong the wind, how heavy the rainfall, or how thick the snow, none of it will be making its way through to your basement. The secret to the door’s success lies in its two-piece design, which works effectively to reduce any moisture or airflow that can make its way into your home.
They’re super secure
Protecting your home and family from intruders is likely to be at the forefront of your mind when it comes to choosing a basement door. The basement is notoriously easy to access, making it one of the most vulnerable areas in your home. Choosing a door that offers outstanding security is crucial. Bilco doors are designed with your security in mind. The slide locking bolt and interior mounting flanges allow you to lock the door easily and securely from the inside, reducing the possibility of forced entry while still allowing you an easy escape route in the event of a fire or other disaster.
They come with a great warranty
As ilionlumber.com notes, all Bilco products are backed by a five-year warranty against defects in material and workmanship. Ultra Series basement doors come with the benefit of ten years. Provided the door has been installed as per the manufacturer’s instructions, Bilco guarantees years of trouble-free service. If any part fails to function within the warranty period, Bilco will replace it at no charge.
They come in a range of styles
In order to offer a tailored solution for your exact needs, Bilco offers doors in a variety of styles, finishes, and materials. Choose between:
- Ultra Series Basement Doors – Ultra Series Basement Doors offer superb weather resistance, easy operation, code-compliant basement access, and ten years warranty. Even better, the only time you’ll have to concern yourself with them is during installation – after that, you can expect years of service with almost no maintenance. The Ultra Series basement door is made from a polyethylene construction that offers super rust and rot resistance – no matter how long it’s installed, you’ll never have to worry about cleaning it of rust or painting any worn spots. Its simulated wood texture and driftwood color are unobtrusive and will fit in easily with any exterior. Last but not least, the interchangeable side panel inserts will let you decide just how much light and ventilation you want to let into your basement.
- Classic Series Sloped Wall Basement Doors – Classic Series Sloped Wall Basement Doors are ideal for sloped areaways. Made from heavy-duty steel construction, they can be installed on sidewalls of brick, stone, block, or poured concrete. They offer all the benefits you’d expect of a Bilco door, including superb longevity, excellent weather-resistance, unparalleled security, and, thanks to lift assistance, easy, one-handed operation. Best of all, the versatile frame design and option to incorporate foundation plates and extension panels allow the door to accommodate almost any areaway imaginable.
- Classic Series Basement Doors – The Classic Series Basement Door is a classic in more than just name. It stops moisture and debris from getting into your home by creating a watertight seal that sheds water and keeps your basement blissfully dry. A patented gas spring lift assistance allows for smooth operation, while the baked-on Sherwin Williams primer provides a durable base for paint. As with all Bilco doors, the slide bolt locking mechanism guarantees optimal security.
You can also read:
- Mapp Gas Vs. Propane: Which is the Better Choice?
- What is Vinyl Paint and When Should You Use it?
- What is a Rim Joist and What is It Used For?
- What is Phrogging?
- What is a Roman Tub and What is it Good For?