If you are lucky enough to have a backyard at your home, it is a versatile space that you can use in many ways. Not only can it look wonderful when adorned with flowers and plants, but it is also a great space for your children or pets to play. You can even transform your backyard into an amazing place for entertaining friends or family. If this is how you intend to use your backyard, then an excellent addition is a pavilion. This will give you somewhere for you and your guests to shelter from the sun, wind, and rain while you are entertaining outdoors. You can also use a pavilion as a dining area when you fancy eating al fresco. Here is what you will need to create the perfect backyard pavilion.
What is a Backyard Pavilion?
According to Wikipedia, a pavilion is a subsidiary building that is separate from or attached to the main building. They come in many forms, from covered walkways to small buildings. Generally, a modern pavilion refers to a small sheltered area in the garden that consists of a roof on struts, and they are either completely open on the sides or they may have one or more walls. They are generally created so that there is a sheltered seating area or a place to entertain in the garden. Not only do they serve a practical purpose, but they can also add an interesting focal point to the garden.
Do You Need Planning Permission for a Pavilion in Your Backyard?
In most cases, you will not need planning permission for a pavilion in your backyard unless it has a second story or is set up with a sleeping area. However, this can vary from one area to the next, so you should always check before beginning the construction of a pavilion.
Choosing a Backyard Pavilion
There is a vast choice of pavilions available, so it is important to consider how you will use the pavilion when making your decision. Some of the factors you should consider include:
- Type – There are many types of pavilion, and the type you choose may depend on your preference, how you will use the space, and your budget. Some examples include walk-through pavilions, flat roofs, sloping roofs, full buildings, open structures, gazebos, pergolas, and partially enclosed pavilions.
- Style – The style you choose is down to personal preference. There are many styles available and you may wish to choose something that complements the style of your home.
- Size – When deciding on the size of the pavilion, you need to think about several things. First, you should measure the space available in your backyard and decide how much of this you want to allocate to a pavilion. Next, you should consider how much space you need to use the pavilion in the way that you wish. Finally, you need to make sure that the pavilion is not so large that it impedes on your neighbors light or view in any way.
- Materials – If you are buying a ready-made or pre-assembled pavilion, then they are usually made from wood. However, you have more options if you are having one built from scratch. Some options for the main structure include brick, stone, or marble. There is also the option to have a tiled roof instead of a slanting wood roof.
Preparing for a Backyard Pavilion
Country Gazebo says that preparation is important when you are adding a pavilion to your backyard. There are two main considerations:
- Location – You need to decide which is the best spot in your backyard for your pavilion. Think about proximity to the house or fences, if there are any trees nearby, the type of floor in the garden, where it will look good as a feature, and if it impedes on your neighbors’ view or light in any way.
- Flooring/ base – It is unwise to sit most pavilions directly onto grass or mud as they will embed themselves into the ground and gradually sink. For buildings made of heavy materials, such as stone or brick, you may need to have foundations dug and a concrete floor put in. Otherwise, you should consider securing the pavilion to a tiled, concreted, or decked area of your garden. If you do not have these, you may need to add this type of surface.
Building a Backyard Pavilion
How difficult it is to build a backyard pavilion depends on which type you have chosen. The three main options include:
Ready-made – These are pavilions that have all the sections prepared and come with instructions for assembly. These are a good option if you have some DIY skills and you do not want to splash out o a pre-assembled model. It is important to note that the pieces are potentially heavy and large. Therefore, you will probably need a second person to help you to construct the pavilion.
Pre-assembled – If you have no building experience and you want the easiest option, then buying a complete pavilion is probably the best option. Once you have ordered your chosen pavilion, it is delivered and put straight into position. The downside of this is that it is the most expensive option.
Build from scratch – It is also possible to build a pavilion from scratch, and there are two options for doing this. First, you can design and build the pavilion yourself. This means you will have a unique pavilion and it may cost you less than ready-made or pre-assembled options, depending on the size and the materials you use. You should only attempt to build your own pavilion if you have advanced building or carpentry skills. The other option is to hire a professional to build a pavilion for you. The upside of this is that you will still have a unique pavilion without putting time and effort into it yourself. On the downside, Stop Digginghighlights that the combined cost of materials and labor can make this an expensive option.
Securing a Backyard Pavilion
Safety is essential, so it is vital that the pavilion is secured properly. Otherwise, strong wind or leaning on the structure could potentially bring it tumbling down, injuring anyone below. How the pavilion is secured will depend on the size and type of pavilion. Some are sunken into foundations to hold them into place, while others are bolted to the ground.
Backyard Pavilions – The Final Verdict
A pavilion is a fantastic addition to your backyard that can serve as both a practical space and an interesting focal point. Planning the pavilion properly is essential, this includes putting thought into the type of pavilion you want, its size, the location, and preparing the area of your backyard. It is possible to build a pavilion yourself, although you may prefer to buy a pre-assembled variety or hire someone to complete the task for you. It is also vital to make sure the pavilion is sturdy and secure for safety reasons.