The kitchen and bathroom are two of the most important rooms in the home as they both serve a practical purpose and they are shared spaces that are used by everyone in the home and by guests. When selling a house, these rooms are also important to buyers and they will look at the quality of the fittings and the décor. Regardless of whether you are selling your home or if you want to give these rooms a new and fresh look, then one of the quickest, easiest, and cheapest solutions is to replace or update the tile. While many people will knock off the old tiles and replace them completely, this is not the only option. An alternative is to use peel and stick backsplash tiles, but do these really work?
What Are Peel and Stick Backsplash Tiles?
Peel and stick backsplash tiles are an alternative to the more traditional ceramic tile. The tiles are made from various materials, including plastic gel, thin stone, metal, and glass. The backs of the tiles are coated in an adhesive that is covered in a protective sheet. When you are ready to sue them, you simply remove the protective sheet and apply them directly over your existing tiles. There are both pros and cons to using this option, and it is important you consider these before deciding if this is the easiest way to transform your kitchen or bathroom.
The Pros of Peel and Stick Backsplash Tiles
There are many benefits to choosing peel and stick backsplash tiles to give your bathroom or kitchen a new look. These include:
- Easy to apply- One of the greatest advantages is that peel and stick backsplash tiles are so easy to apply. Even someone with no previous DIY experience can apply these quickly and simply. There is no need to level the surfaces as you are simply applying the tiles directly onto the existing tiles. As there is no grouting, there is also no drying time.
- Easy to clean- Peel and stick backsplash tiles are made from materials that are easy to wipe clean. This means they are ideal for use in areas that are likely to become dirty or greasy, such as the kitchen or bathroom.
- Few tools required- To apply traditional tiles, you will need a tile cutter, a level, and grouting tools. If you use peel and stick adhesive tiles, you will not need to buy any specialist equipment.
- Cheaper than ceramic tiles- In most cases, peel and stick tiles are cheaper than traditional tiles. However, this can vary between brands and retailers. Another way you save money is that you do not need to pay for labor for someone to apply the tiles on your behalf as you can easily do the job yourself.
- Mess-free- Tiling using traditional tiles and grouting is often a messy process. In contrast, applying peel and stick backsplash tiles is virtually mess-free.
The Cons of Peel and Stick Backsplash Tiles
There are also some downsides to peel and stick backsplash tiles of which you should be aware when making your decision whether to use them or not. These include:
- Not as long-lasting- In most cases, peel and stick backsplash tiles will not last for as long as traditional tiles that are applied using grouting. They can sometimes start to become loose if lots of water gets behind them
- Quality can vary- The quality of the tiles can vary significantly. Some look just as good as traditional tiles, while others can look a little tacky. The quality of the tiles often depends on the brand, the materials, and the cost.
Peel and Stick Backsplash Tiles- The Verdict
The good news is that peel and stick backsplash tiles really do work. They are a great alternative to traditional tiles for those who have a limited budget or do not have the skills to replace tiles themselves. However, they are unlikely to last as long as ceramic tiles, so they are better used as a quick fix to transform a tired kitchen with cracked tiles temporarily until you can replace them with a more permanent solution. There are many fantastic designs to choose between, so you can give your kitchen or bathroom a complete transformation quickly and cheaply, even if you have limited DIY skills.