Plunge pools are small pools that are often filled with cold water. It is common for people to use them after they have been in a sauna or hot tub because the cold water can be very refreshing. They are popular in countries where the temperatures are very hot as they can be a great way to cool down after a hot day. They can also be used after exercising because the shock of the cold water after exercising can reduce any swelling and also aids recovery of the muscles. Many sports teams all over the world have an ice bath that players use after matches and these are just basically plunge pools that have been filled with ice.
There are some situations where a plunge pool is not suitable. The size of them means that you cannot do the things that you would be able to in a swimming pool such as playing water games or swimming laps. However, if you are just looking for somewhere to relax in the water then they can be a very good alternative to a full sized pool as they are considerably cheaper.
They are also a good choice for people that do not have space for a full sized pool. They still provide the opportunity for you to have a dip in the water when the weather gets warm and you want to cool down. If you do have plenty of space in your garden but only get a few months of hot weather every year then a plunge pool allows you to enjoy the benefits of a pool in the summer while still giving you a lot of space to enjoy your garden throughout the rest of the year.
We will take a more detailed look at the pros and cons of plunge pools in more detail below.
- Space. A plunge pool takes up very little space and so is perfect if you do not have a big garden or you do not want the pool to take over the whole garden. It is a viable option for people that may not have considered a pool because they were worried about space.
- Health Benefits. If you do a lot of exercise then a plunge pool can be very beneficial. Bathing in cold water helps recovery after exercise and can also be very refreshing if you are feeling hot and sweaty.
- Cost. A plunge pool can cost a lot less than a traditional swimming pool because it is a lot smaller. You may also decide that it does not need heating and this is another factor that will save you money when compared to a traditional pool.
- Good For Couples Or Single People. If there are only going to be one or two people using the pool to relax then it is a perfect size. There is more than enough room for two people to be in it comfortably and if you are the only person using it then you will have plenty of space.
- Limited Uses. There are a lot of things that you are not going to be able to do in a plunge pool. You won’t be able to swim for more than a few seconds and they are not suitable for diving. Pool parties are also out unless you spend the whole time taking it in turns to get in.
- Needs Other Features. A plunge pool works best when there are other features that are used alongside it such as a sauna or hot tub. This can dramatically increase the price if you want to include these features and they will also take up more space.
- Unsuitable For Families. If you have children then a plunge pool may not be suitable as there will not be a lot of room for them to do all the things that they want to. They are more likely to prefer a pool where they can swim and play and a plunge pool just does not have the room for this.
If you have weighed up the pros and cons and are considering getting a plunge pool for your garden then the following images may help you decide which type of pool is going to be right for you.
You can also read:
- 20 Infinity Pools with the Most Stunning Views
- The 20 Best Hotel Pools in the World
- 20 Amazing Pools It’s Hard to Believe are Public
- 20 Gorgeous Poolside Outdoor Kitchen Designs