The bathroom is one of the rooms in your home that is generally used by everyone in your house and any visitors to your home. Although this room is used for several functional purposes, it is also a place where many people like to relax/. Therefore, it is important that you consider both practical and decorative elements of this room when you are planning its design. One thing that you might like to include in your bathroom is wall décor. Here are some of the reasons why you should add wall décor to your bathroom and some ideas for choosing the perfect bathroom wall décor.
Why You Should Consider Adding Bathroom Wall Décor
Your choice of bathroom furniture is arguably the most important design decision you will make when planning your bathroom. However, how you accessorize this room will make a big difference to the overall look and feel of the room. Some of the reasons you should consider adding some wall décor to your bathroom are:
- Color and pattern- Adding wall décor is the chance to make a visual impact with color and pattern, says Good Housekeeping. Although most bathroom suites come in neutral colors, with white being the most popular options, this does not mean that you cannot include color and pattern in the bathroom.
- Injecting your personality- Wall décor is an opportunity to inject some of your personality into your bathroom. So, you can add items that are fun or glamorous pieces, depending on what best reflects your personality.
- Optical illusions-Bathrooms are often one of the smaller rooms in a home, but you can create the optical illusion of space with your choice of wall décor. Pieces that act as a focal point and draw your eye across the room will instantly make a room look bigger, while mirrors instantly create the illusion of light and space in any room.
Practical Considerations for Choosing Bathroom Wall Décor
Although choosing wall décor that you find visually appealing is one of the main considerations, there are also some practical points that you need to consider when accessorizing this room in your home. Some of these include:
- Materials- The materials from which your wall décor is made are significant as you need something that will wipe clean and will not suffer damage from the damp atmosphere that is common in a bathroom. Examples of suitable materials include painted or treated wood, glass, ceramics, marble, plastics, stone, and tiles. Some materials that are not ideal for bathrooms include untreated wood and fabrics.
- Hygiene- Another consideration is hygiene, so you should choose items that are easy to wipe clean and do not have too many crevices where bacteria can breed and dust can gather.
- Size- It is important that the items you choose are suitable for the size of the bathroom. Items that are too big will make the room look small and give the impression of clutter and a lack of space. On the other hand, it the wall art you choose is small and you add it to a large wall space, the item will have little or no impact.
- Price- When decorating any room in your home, you will probably set a budget. Within that budget, you will have some idea of what you are willing to spend on accessories. There are bathroom wall décor options to suit all budgets, and you can even repurpose or upscale items you already have if you need to keep the costs to a minimum.
Bathroom Wall Décor Ideas
There is a vast array of wall décor idea you could consider for your bathroom, and which you choose will depend on your personal tastes, the style of the bathroom, and the size of the room. Here are some ideas to give you inspiration.
- Feature walls- Instead of adding many items to your walls, you may prefer to simply have a feature wall that is painted in a different color to the rest of the bathroom or has a patterned, waterproof wallpaper. This works best in larger bathrooms.
- Tiling Effects- While most of your tiling has a practical purpose, you can also use a tile to add decorative features to your bathroom walls. You can do this either by including feature tiles or by creating an interesting feature using different colored tiles in a separate area of the wall to the general tiling.
- Prints- Original artwork is not necessarily the best idea in a bathroom as it can become damaged due to the moisture in the air. However, prints are a great way to add some color and interest into your bathroom.
- Plants- Many interior design styles use nature as one of the key themes. If you have chosen an interior design style for which nature is a key element, then The Spruce suggests adding plants to your bathroom as a form of wall art. Either suspend plants in baskets along the walls or have shelves with potted plants.
- Mirrors- A wall mirror is a practical item to include in your bathroom as you can use it when cleaning your teeth, putting on your makeup, doing your hair and many other activities. However, it is also a decorative item. There are some stunning options available in a wide range of styles and designs. Therefore, it is relatively easy to find a mirror that adds to the interior design of your bathroom.
- Shelving- Another idea is to add decorative shelving, says Shutterfly. Adding shelves will give you something to display everything from toiletries in pretty bottles to interesting stones and shells.
Bathroom Wall Décor – The Final Verdict
Adding wall décor to your bathroom can inject color, show your personality, give focal points, and create the illusion of space and light. It is important to think about the size and style of the bathroom when choosing pieces and to buy items that are made from materials that are suitable for damp conditions. There is a huge selection of items from which you can choose to use as bathroom wall décor, including prints, tiles, mirrors, shelving, and plants.