The Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber is a lightweight, portable scrubbing device. According to its makers, it makes light work of cleaning all those hard-to-reach nooks and crannies that conventional scrubbers can’t reach. Suitable for use on a wide variety of surfaces including carpets, rugs, stairs, and upholstery, it’s advertised as the perfect solution to a score of cleaning problems. But does it actually work? Does it really tackle spills and stains as well as it claims? Or is it just another useless gadget to add to the collection?
What is the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber?
The Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber is a handheld extractor that was designed with the express intent of quickly and efficiently removing tough stains and spots from upholstery, carpets, and various other surfaces. It functions by applying a cleaning solution over a targeted area. Once the cleaning solution is applied, the device’s rotating power brush agitates and lifts any ingrained dirt. The powerful, 2.5 amp motored vacuum then pulls up water and dirt to leave the surface spotlessly clean. Well, that’s the claim in any case. But how does it stack up against reality?
Is the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber Legit?
Every year, cleaning companies outdo each other in their attempts to come up with solutions to cleaning problems we didn’t know we had. And ultimately, who can resist the allure of a new gadget, especially when it promises as much as the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber? But does this little device actually live up the hype? Does it really lift the dirt as well as it claims, or is it just our hard-earned cash that it’s sucking up?
So far, the jury’s out. Some people seem to love it, other people seem to, if not hate it, then at least write it off as a waste of space. Among the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber’s fans are carpetcleaners12.blogspot.com, who describes the device as “worth every penny.” Stepbystep.com is less convinced, saying that despite being fans of Dirt Devil, something had gone ‘array’ with the product and that it would probably end up in their yard sale.
Over on Amazon, the reviews are just as mixed as they are elsewhere. Some reviewers have praised it for being convenient, well designed, and a godsend for dealing with troublesome stains. Other people have been less impressed, calling it useless, pointless, extremely loud, and a waste of space. Overall, it’s managed to bring in a distinctly average score of 3.1 out of 5.
The Pros and Cons Of The Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber
Everyone seems to have a different opinion about the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber. Some people praise its efficiency and ease of use, others say it’s not worth the money. Having listened to both sides of the argument, housingfloorexpert.com has summarized the case for and against the device thusly:
- Versatile (use it on carpets, rugs, upholstery, and a multitude of other surfaces)
- Powerful suction for fast drying power
- Quickly tackles spots, spills, and stains
- Easy to use
- Comes with an extra-long cord for easy maneuvering
- Very noisy compared to other similar devices
- The dirty water takes too long to dry
- Some users have complained about splashback during operation
How to Use a Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber
Like many similar devices, the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber has a mixed reputation. For some people, it’s an invaluable piece of kit that’s saved them from endless hours of scrubbing and cleaning. For others, it’s little more than a waste of time, money, and water. When opinion is this divided, it’s hard to work out whether the product is worth the investment or not. Fortunately, it’s not the most expensive gadget in the world so if you do decide to give it a try, you won’t be left with a terrible case of buyer’s remorse if it turns out to be less exciting than you’d hoped. If you decide to bite the bullet and buy one, make sure to give it a fair shot by learning how to operate it correctly. You never know… maybe all those negative reviews have less to do with the device itself and more to do with the operating method. As Hunker outlines, to get the most out of the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber, you’ll need to apply the following method.
- Step 1 – Take hold of the handle attached to the reservoir and push the locking latch down. Push the handle forward to disengage the reservoir. Lift the reservoir to free it from the device.
- Step 2 – Remove the cap from the reservoir by twisting it to the left. Measure 1/2 oz of cleaning solution in a measuring cup then add the solution to the reservoir. Top the reservoir up with hot tap water. Refit the cap to the reservoir by twisting it to the right until it locks into place.
- Step 3 – Fit the tabs on the bottom of the reservoir into the slots at the front of the device. Push the reservoir back until it clicks into position.
- Step 4 – Plug the device into a power outlet. Turn the selector knob on the left side of the device to the setting labeled ‘Vacuum.’ Switch the power switch at the rear of the device to the ‘On’ position.
- Step 5 – Holding the handle of the reservoir, sweep the front end of the device in a back and forth motion over the area to be cleaned. This will remove any excess liquid or debris. Once any obvious dirt has been lifted, apply the cleaning solution to the area by pressing the button next to the handle. Let the solution sink in for two minutes before proceeding to the next step.
- Step 6 – Turn the selector knob to the “Scrub” setting. Grab the device by the handle of the reservoir and move the brushes back and forth over the selected area. Keep brushing until the area is clean. Turn the selector knob to the “Vacuum” setting to remove the cleaning solution.
- Step 7 – Flip the power switch to ‘Off’ and unplug the device. Grip the handle of the reservoir and push down on the latch next to the water tank to disengage the reservoir. Lift the device clear of the water tank. Empty the water tank before reinstalling it in the device ready for future use.